12 March 2009

Relief Society

My family MADE me go tonight.

I'm an apostate, you see. At least regarding Relief Society.

I will admit (reluctantly) that I had a good time, because I found someone to be a bit, er, shall we say irreverent with. I don't even know her name. I've been out of Relief Society for so long and for so many years of our time in Ogden that I really don't know all that many people by name.

At any rate, the reason I HAD to go tonight was because they were celebrating the Relief Society's 167 birthday, and wanted to honor all the past Relief Society Presidents from the ward.

I'm on that list.

Sort of.

I was the Relief Society President for a whopping 3 1/2 months.

Not my fault. Although I'll admit I was too young and inexperienced and WAY not ready to be Relief Society President and WAY not equipped to deal with everything such a calling entails.

But, you see, when the bishop called me to the position, I told him in no uncertain terms that Darin and I were engaging in a little family planning and once I became pregnant it would be unlikely that I would be able to fulfill the duties of the office. He assured me that was OK and that the Lord wanted me in that position. I still don't know the reason for that.

I was called at the end of May, got pregnant in July, sick in August, released the first part of September.

Relief Society by Whirwind!

It felt weird standing there with women who served YEARS, sometimes multiple terms, and I was, by far, the youngest of them.

Ah, well. I got a nice corsage out of the whole deal and they sent me home with a bunch of balloons for Maren.

Not a total loss.

1 comment:

  1. I wish your experience could be mine for YW. Hmm - I am praying hard - really I am - Sunday was not a good day in YW though. Laurels with bad attitudes really get on my nerves! My poor mom was 29 with four kids and one on the way when she was called as ward RS pres. Suffice it to say, those were some very hard years for her. She needed the RS by whirlwind job too!

    ReplyDelete